Uxmal is one of the most emblematic ruins near Merida ain the Yucatan Peninsula. Includes monuments, architecture, walls, steles (beautiful sculptures carved of blocks of stone), a ball court, a network of roads as well as texts written in glyphs. Many buildings feature extraordinary sculptures carved in stone or modeled stucco, either polychromatic or a mixture. Visitors today are astonished by the craftsmanship of the ancient artists (shown in objects of luxury marks) and the large number of people necessary to produce projects of this magnitude.
It is considered one of the most beautiful cities in Mexico, artistically and architecturally. It has not required much restoration work, for the temples are in excellent condition and were built magnificently. Uxmal was built around 500 AD. The name thrice-built refers to the construction of its highest structure, the Pyramid of the Magician.
The Maya would often build a new temple over an existing one, and in this case five stages of construction have actually been found. Uxmal was one of the largest cities of the Yucatan peninsula and at its height was home to about 25,000 Maya. Like the other Puuc sites, it flourished in the Late Classic period (around 600-900 AD). There are indications that its rulers also presided over the nearby settlements of Kabah, Labn¡ and Sayil, and there are several sacbeob (Mayan white road) connecting the sites. The area is known as the Ruta Puuc, or Puuc route, due to the nearby Uxmal architecture.
Merida holds rich history hidden beneath its walls. The downtown built in the 16th century, Spanish architecture embracing the mayan traditions. Enjoy a Pleasant tour through the downtown, enter the cathedral and wall through the plazas learning of what made Merida the great white city.The tour through Merida Downtown will be done on a Horse Carriage.
MEETING POINT / VOUCHER REDEMPTION
- Pick up and Drop off at your hotel lobby in Cancun / Riviera Maya
- This tour is on private basis and there is a private guide for the group
- You must complete your online booking in order to receive your Confirmation and Booking Report Voucher via e-mail and this must be presented upon your pick up on the tour date
- Pricing includes sales taxes
- NOTE: Your hotel room number is required prior to your tour date for scheduling and confirming your pick up time, find further instructions described on the Confirmation and Booking Report Voucher
- Private tour for more personable experience
- Brief stops at resting areas for use of restrooms and snack purchase
- English speaking Professional & certified tour guide explaining throughout whole trip
- Spectacular city tour of Merida
- Climb the ruins and temples at Uxmal
- Horse Carriage tour through historical sites of downtown Merida city